These might seem random, but here are some thought I have had concerning this trip and traveling in general…
1. When visiting another city, I like to not look like a tourist. I like to use public train systems to get around. I like to be prepared and know where I am going so I don’t look lost. I even enjoyed a little bit when we were JAM PACKED into a subway train. I like to feel like I have moved into town and sorta get the feeling I live there. This was what we did in Boston. It is weird, living in a place like Boston and not having a car and using a great public transit system for all transportation is attractive to me. Maybe it would get old after a while, but it still attracts me.
2. I was moved by the Red Sox game. I have only been to Astro’s games and one Rangers game. The atmosphere and fans are nothing like Fenway. The fans are into the game so much they feel they can effect the outcome. Tradition is big there. It was really cool.
3. Traveling by train can be an adventure. This was our first trip that did not go as planned. We had two bus rides and a very long trip home. What was suppose to be a 24 hour train took 37 hours. You have to be prepared to go with the flow. I still think we need more rail options in the US. Flying used to be fun, now it is a nightmare. The ONLY thing flying has over trains is the speed. For me, I would rather take longer on the train and make the transportation a PART of the trip, rather than fly and have it be just a necessary annoyance to get to your destination.
4. I struggle with knowing how to fully appreciate where I am. I was in Boston and I wanted to really just sit back and appreciate that, but I am not sure how. I find it frustrating. I want to "take in" Boston but it is more than just seeing places or doing things. Not only do I not know how to do it, I don’t even know how to xplain what I am talking about!
5. Since returning home, I have been fighting post trip depression. All I want to do right now is get back on a train and go somewhere I have never been before. I love traveling. I love seeing places I have never seen. I love going places I have read about or seen on TV. It is hard to think about waiting until next year for another trip and not even knowing if there will be money for a trip next year. Now let me be clear, I am very thankful for what we have gotten to do. I give all the credit to God for providing us with these traveling opportunities. I pray that we will get more.
That is all for now. Thanks for sharing in our journey. Hopefully there will be more and you will join us again. If anyone is interested in trying out Amtrak let me know. I would be happy to help you out and give you all the information you would need.
I have posted a trip report on a Amtrak forum I am a part of. It deals with just the train parts but has a lot more train details than I posted here. If you would like to ready it you can see it HERE .